July 30, 2009

What a long day.

Today was by far, the longest day we have had in Africa. Well, at least it felt like that to me. I am sure a few of the others would agree with me on that. We were on the road by 8 in the morning. We first headed to the giraffe farm. It was on the other side of the city, so it was quite a little drive to get out there. I wish I could comment on the giraffe farm, but I did not go in. Wayne and I just sat on the side lines and had a coke. There was not alot to the farm. They had 3 giraffes from what I could see. I live in Tampa bay and my parents have a home in Orlando. So, I can go to Disney's animal kingdom or busch garden's to see giraffes. So I passed on the $10 fee to look at the giraffe's for 30 minutes. I had a great time talking with Wayne and Claude. Claude is one of our drivers. We really have two great drivers. Their name's are Claude, of course, and Maxwell. They are not your typical drivers, because these men are educated men. They speak 3 or 4 languages and have been such a huge help to us here. I don't think our trip would be the same without these guys. 

It was then off to the elephant orphanage. Now, I did partake in this activity. The orphanage takes care of 23 elephants at the moment. It was really funny, because you see the care takers come walking towards you with a line of what appears to be, pigmy elephants. It is just a big group of babies that were found in man holes or mother's had recently died. So they raise them, as well as, teach them some of the things that elephants must know to survive in the wild. They have these big O bottles filled with elephant formula. They first have the elephants chug down the bottle. Than they have them play in the water hole. The sun is really intense here along the equator, so it is vital that the elephants learn how to throw mud on themselves to protect themselves form the suns rays. The orphanage also has 3 rhinos. 

Shopping time! We headed to this masai market to do a little shopping. It must of been the Macy's of masai markets. It was so expensive. If you got a chance to experience this market compared to the rest of the shopping here in Africa, it was a bit pricey. Akhuna matada( no worries) on my part. I did no shopping. But everyone else got ripped according to me. The best part of this experience for me was Julian. It was the masai warrior that greeted you at the door. He was in the full get up. He had more beads on than any Masai I have seen in Africa. Now Tom and some of the girls thought he was a fruity Masai. I was not to sure, but he sure did like talking to me, so they might have been right. He handed me his spear and ran off. He came back with his business card. He pointed out his e-mail and his cell phone number to me. The funny thing about that was, this guy did not really speak english. He knew a few words in english. So we were doing those hand gestures and stuff to communicate. So, now, how am I suppose to talk to him through e-mail or a call. I don't think that dictionary.com has a translation for masai to english. Funny guy still anyways. 

To Mark and Rebekah's family. They wanted me to let everyone back home know that they made it to the airport and got off. So you should be seeing them tomorrow at some time. I am sure they will have many stories to tell you. Too bad they will not have a few more to tell you from the next week and half to come. You can always check back and see what the rest of the group is up to. 

I really wish I could write some more. I sure do have more I can mention, but it is past 11 p.m. here and the computer room closes at 11. So I am sure the guard will be walking up any minute to kick me out. So I will get back on tomorrow to fill you in on a few more details for the day, as well as, our field day tomorrow. Bye bye!


1 comment:

  1. It seems today you all got to see some of the tourist things of Kenya. I always think it is good to do a few of these things as well. It does sound like you all had a long day. Hope you got rested for Sports Day! Thinking about you all and praying for safe travels to and from Tanzania!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete