July 21, 2009

Caroline

If a picture is worth a thousand words, it would take a thousand pictures to tell what I've seen today. Traffic is unbelievable! My camera kept snap snap snapping all the way through the slum. There is no way to describe the Methare slum. When we got out of the vans at the school, the tiny preschool children rushed up to us and grabbed our hands. One tiny boy latched onto me with freezing little fingers. He wouldn't let go of his death grip until I got to the doorway of the school, where he knew he was not allowed to enter. That's when he finally let go. I have taken so many pictures today that my battery died, but lucky for me I have a charger and a back up battery! So... more to come!! We were treated like royalty at the school, where certain groups of children performed songs, dances, all sorts of performances, all for us! The children are very respectful of their teachers and are extremely well-behaved. They seem to treasure the opportunity to learn. I can't wait to go back tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Caro____,

    I just read your blog, WOW what can I say, I wish I was with you to enjoy the experience. I miss you, please be safe. I continue and will continue to check the blog everday, sometimes several times a day. I have posted a few blogs on your personal page. Have a great day.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,

    The pictures thus far are very interesting, I'm sure it's even more amazing in person. I hope the children are enjoying the crafts you have for them and your warm sense of being. God is watching over you and using you to "Shine a Light for the World to See". I'm thinking of you and praying for you, as well as missing you.

    By the way I checked with my new job and my boss said it would be ok for me to pick you up from the Airport, so no need to worry about a ride. You may not be able to read the blog, based on what I read earlier, but I'll continue to reach out. Please reach out to me when you get a chance. I'm so excited for you and this adventure you've taken and can't wait to hear all about it.

    Be safe and know you're in my prayers.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,

    How are things going? Are the children enjoying the craft projects you have for them? I'm sure you're learning a lot from them too! Well I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. I hope you can write sometime soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and can't wait to hear all of your stories. Be safe.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline,
    So excited for you, and about what you are doing. Be safe, experience everything you can, and know you are giving them the best gift of all, yourself! I will be thinking about you and saying a prayer. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline,

    This is really exciting reading all your posts, it's like I'm there with you! I am sure that all the children are delighted you are there....have you made bracelets yet?

    Wishing you well, and keeping you in my prayers!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caro___,

    Have fun at Kilimangaro and the beach. I have no doubt you've worked very hard and deserve the break. This experience will last with you forever, wish I could've been there with you. I miss you so much and can't wait to see you when you get back. Be safe, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

    Den

    ReplyDelete