July 20, 2009

Aaron Swafford

Hello to everyone out there. My name is Aaron and I am from Orlando, Florida. This is my first trip to Africa. I have been so excited about this trip for the past few months. I first heard about the Mercy Care Center while cruising through the islands with Wayne and Carol. I knew from the first moment I heard about the foundation that I wanted to be a part of one of their teams. My biggest fear of coming to Africa was to witness the strength of the kids and realize that all my struggles in life could never equal anything close to what these incredible kids have been through. They show joy in the face of adversity. I knew deep down inside that I could not say that about myself. All of us from the United States love to complain about what life has dealt us and we never realized just how good life really is for us. 

We walked into the airport in Washington D.C. and from the start, you could feel the pressure. We had so many bags. Most of which were overweight. Next thing you know we are marching through security check point. Well, little did I know, that we had to take every laptop out of their cases and put them through the machine one by one. Wayne and myself got the honor of carrying the two bags with all the computers. We must of used at least 15 of those plastic trays that run through the xray machine. Thanks ladies! Also, who knew that those bags weighed like 60-65 lbs. It was not bad at first, but then as you are lugging them down long terminals, from plane to plane, and stuffing them in over head compartments. It quickly turned out to be a nightmare for Wayne and myself. I guess we have to look on the bright side. We were bringing them for the kids and we got a workout also. 

For those of you who do not know. I am in charge of the blog site. I for the most part will be posting everything online. If you have any complaints, than Wayne did it. So flood his e-mail with the complaints. The group looks forward to your comments. So please feel free to leave us some love. God bless everyone who is interested in what we are doing. Take care!

5 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    I am so grateful for your willingness to write on the blog. It is so great for us who stayed behind to follow your trip through the blog!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron, you do not know us, but we know your mom and your grandmother. We are the Greenes from N. C. and your mom told me that you were planning to go on the trip this year. We are so glad you were there to help Wayne.......

    Please give our love to each of the team members and especially Wayne and Carroll. Let them know we are praying for them and each of you. Give our love and best wishes to Patrick, the teachers and the children of the MCC.

    Thanks for taking care of the blog. I will try to follow it each and every day. God Bless You.

    Beth, Lee Ray, Sarah in Poland and Lydia in Belize "The Greene Family who loves the MCC"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, please give Mark Hollar and his daughter a big "hello and hug" for us too.

    the Greene family in NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aaron just want to let you know I'm praying for all of you guys and hope everything goes well. It's awesome what you guys are doing. Keep safe bro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron,
    I got to meet you in parking lot of church with 2 cameras. WHAT A BLESSING YOU ARE to all of us left behind. I am living the whole experience through your eyes. God knew what he was doing when he picked you for this trip. without you, the computers would never have made it. Hugs, betsy garrard

    ReplyDelete