July 23, 2009

Rebekah and Mark

Jambo!!!  That means hello in Swahili.  We sure haven't picked up much of the language so we just go around saying Jambo to everyone.  We went back to the Mercy Care Centre again today and it was a harder day than yesterday.  We went a different way than yesterday and drove through where many of the burnings took place during the uprising last year.  There were heaps of trash all over the bumpy roads and nothing had been rebuilt.  It was a horrible site to see and we will never forget the indescribable things we saw.  
I taught a few classes today and we held a clinic today for the kids at the school to try and treat various diseases.  You wouldn't believe how sick some of these children are because they have had a disease for so long with no medicine to treat it.  Around 200 kids, 15 mothers and some babies came in today with various illnesses such as Scabies, Malaria, Ear Infections, Upper Respiratory Infections, and Parasites.  Several people from the team scrubbed the heads and even the whole body of those with mild to severe cases of Scabies.  We also had medication for the other sicknesses.  It was very heart-wrenching to see these children who are so neglected in regards to medical care.  I know we received such an incredible blessing today and although it was hard, I'm so thankful for the experience.  
Caroline and I were able to teach the 2nd graders using the book "The Mitten" and doing crafts that went along with it.  After they were finished with the craft, I asked them to take a picture.  Every time the camera flash went off, all the children yelled YAY and were so happy to have their picture taken.  It was very humbling to see them so excited!!!  I also taught the first graders using "The Mitten" and telling the story of Noah.  They were such great listeners and I hope the future kids I will teach will be that well behaved.  Dad taught a religion class with the 8th graders.  He talked about the Exodus experience.  He was amazed that the kids knew ALL the plagues and the books of the Bible even though they only had 12 Bibles to share among 55 people.  They shared textbooks and he gave out 40 pencils to those who did not have one.  Even with that, they were very respectful and patient.  The bell rang for PE but none of the children wanted to leave the class.  This demonstrates their determination to acquire a meaningful education despite the conditions they live in.  
Today was dad's birthday and he says it truly has been a memorable one.  Many of the teachers at the MCC sang to him and gave him some hand carved African pieces and a shirt.  Then for dinner, we went to an Indian restaurant which was very delicious!!  They brought him an ice cream tower with a sparkler in the top and sang to him.  It was a very special day for him.   We get a break by going to a two-night safari this Saturday.  We are so so so excited to see all the animals and we heard it was migration season so the sites should be even more amazing!!!!  There will definitely be many many many pictures taken!!!
These kids at the MCC are always up to something.....  Today when I first got there, a little boy ran up to me immediately and began pressing all the buttons on my digital watch.  I'm not sure what all he pressed but somehow he set an alarm.  Throughout the whole rest of the day, it went off every 5 minutes and I had no idea how to fix it!!!  It was quite irritating but I eventually got use to pressing the stop button every 5 minutes.  
In the two full days we have been here, we have witnessed the unimaginable.  I knew I would see some rough things, but never did I expect to see things that would literally leave me speechless.  Pictures do not do it justice.  I'm so thankful that God placed this opportunity in my life that has already blessed me beyond measure!!!  
Thank you all for your love and prayers!!! We are feeling them all the way in Kenya and they are greatly appreciated!!!!  We look forward to keeping you updated as we encounter more things in the next few days.  We love and miss you!!!!
   

2 comments:

  1. WISHING A VERY HAPPY FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY TO REV. MARK O. HOLLAR!

    FIFTY!! 5-0!! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special way for Mark to spend his birthday! I hope it was a great day! The children will always remember what you both are teaching them! Thank you for taking time to share with them!
    I hope you will see lots of animals and I know you will enjoy the safari!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete