July 27, 2009

Aaron Swafford


Me again. I know everyone gave you a good run down of their time and the groups time in the Masa Mara. I was really pumped to talk about the green mamba that dropped out of the tree right next to Maria theresa and I as we were standing on her and Caroline's porch. But I noticed how Caroline already covered that. She also mentioned the baboon that cruised past Maria Theresa and I as we were both sitting on our own porches. So thanks Caroline. Steal a man's glory. I almost feel like I don't need to do anymore blogging, because everyone covers all the good stuff. So I will just tell you about a few of my nights around the camp fire. Wait a second. Did I say camp fire. Their camp fire was a bunch of charcoal piled one atop of another. The only thing that was missing was the charcoal grill and burgers. It was really funny, because everyone had to scoot their chairs up really close just to fill any heat. We were practically laying in the fire. You know, the fire actually looked like the flame from a lighter. It was still a great time thou. 

You ever heard of the southern cross. I know I never have. For those of you that do not know what it is, it is a formation of stars that you can only see south of the equator. Seeing that I never have been south of the equator, I never heard of it. One thing I never get to see back home in Florida is a bright sky. Full of stars, the milky way, and the plow. I never heard of the plow either. It was nice to be surrounded by almost total darkness. It really illuminated the sky. 

Now, every night when it approached midnight, Wayne and I would walk Carroll and Katie back to their tent. It was on the far side of the compound. It was the scariest walk. It was so dark out there. I always thought I was going to step on a snake. Especially after the green mamba incident. The first night Carroll told me to walk Katie back to the tent, which I was fine with. BUT..... Who was going to walk me back. I know a man is suppose to be fearless and manly. I am not going to lie to you. I am not fearless. I am manly, but I have no shame in saying that I just do not do long walks in the dark, alone. Katie was whiling to walk herself back to the tent. But I felt to bad. Wayne came back to the charcoal, lighter, baby flame fire to talk a little more. Good O Wayne! He just loves to talk. Good thing thou, because he walked with us, as well as, Kate. 

You know the crazy thing about walking around the compound at night. There has not been heavy rain in the park since 2006. There was only scattered showers during 2007. There really has been no rain in the past year. So the river was no more in many parts of the compound. So it was kind of like a super sized ditch in a few areas. There was no water right by Katie and Carroll's tent. So who is to say that no lions or such will run across the dried up river and into the compound. I am consider myself a pretty quick runner. But, could you imagine Wayne and I out running a group of lions or hyenna's in the dark. Good thing I am faster than Wayne. Sorry Wayne! 

I have to mention before I sign off. I did not get to see a crocodile. I was so disappointed. I was hoping that I could just sit near the river and keep my camera on and catch a crocodile taking out a zebra or wildebeest. The rain really killed everything. They really need rain badly in the park. The game reserve was so big. We were two hours from the mara river by vehicle. The mara river is where you see the wildebeest and zebra cross the rivers. So I was a little disappointed for not getting to see it, but I still had a great time. 

Catch you later! 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stories, Aaron. We felt like we were right there with you. Sounds like you folks have really had a great time. I really miss the "southern cross". It was so beautiful when we lived in Tanzania near the Browns at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro and Meru.

    Praying for all of you folks. Give our love to the team. Patrick, the staff and the children.

    Love, The Greenes from North Carolina
    Lee Ray, Beth, Sarah in Poland and Lydia in Belize

    ReplyDelete