July 29, 2009

Maria-Theresa Dragg

This past weekend was awesome! We went to the Massai Mara Fig Tree Camp and saw all types of animals: wildebeest, lions, cheetah, leopard, hyena, warthog, giraffe, you name it we saw it. After a nice weekend we departed Maasai Mara and upon driving for 30 minutes we had a flat tire. To make a long story short, we experienced 5 flat tires in all before arriving safely at the Mennonite Guest House. I took wonderful pictures and I can't wait to show them off when I get home
Last week I had asked Patrick if he would be able to get a pig so that we could complete a dissection. I know when I was younger that was the one thing I looked forward to in high school biology so I figured the kids would enjoy it as well. I was a bit surprised when he told me that he was able to get a pig but that it was alive and I would have to kill it. Thankfully , with the help of the students we successfully prepared the pig for dissection. The kids were so excited and were able to name all the different organs and even describe there function. They enjoyed it so much that I was asked if we could dissect a frog if the students could find one. Hopefully by tommorrow we can find a frog and perfrom one more dissection.
Today I was able to complete a chemistry lab with the students. They were very careful and followed all procedures as we were working with hydrochloric acid, sodium hydroxide etc. It was perfect because the kids have been learning about acids and bases so they were well prepared for the lab. Each students was able to peform five tests to determine whether they were given an acid, base, or neutral. They all turned in stellar work describing in detail their findings! After instruction one of the students asked if he could read a poem that he had written during break. It was a thank you poem and I could not withold my tears.
We also had our second beautiful chapel service and the teachers singing was beautiful; very inspirational!

2 comments:

  1. hi maria
    and all the wonderful volunteer's at mcc. God's blessings are with all of you. Wonderful pics posted. Great to hear your voice on the t/p. Love & Miss YOU soooooooo much.
    Mammy & Daddy XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Theresa,
    I am so grateful you are there. The students are so lucky to have these experiences you are providing them. Thank you so much taking your time to be at MCC. It will be an experience you will not forget for a long time. I wish I could have seen your face when Patrick brought you a live pig! Glad the students were there to help you!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete